Sunday, March 1, 2009

Red Sox, A Race and QT with the Hubby.....










I love to run.....that's no secret! I love the Red Sox....that's no secret. I love my husband....that's no secret, so a fun overnight trip to Ft. Myers for a Red Sox game and a race was perfect! I still can't believe Scott goes to these things with me. He HATES runners (AKA: Sticks), but he still supports me...amazing! I enjoy out of town races...maybe it's the not knowing the course or running with people I don't know....or even the chance to get out of town for a day, weekend or even week! :-) This was a fabulous race with lots of supporters! Hooters, being the main one. It was a nice route and I was making great time well ahead of my goal (under 2 hours). At about mile 8, I rounded the corner smiling (as I always do when I run) and I see it, the largest bridge I have ever seen and I panic, literally tears filled my eyes. I was terrified. I did not train for this! I had not run distant inclines since training for NYC in November. I have simply been working on speed training... Needless to say, it wasn't mind over matter! I DID NOT walk (my biggest mistake at the Disney Marathon), but I slowed down dramatically and lost about 5-7 minutes of time. So, I get to the top of the bridge (whew!) and notice people running towards me...OH CRAP, we have to go BACK UP. At that point, I was so mad I could barely stand it. I quickly found a fast Kenny Chesney song on my ipod and thought of Scott at the finish line. I made it through and there were only 3 miles left after that, but I was DEAD. I sped up a little as we passed the Sox Spring Training facility, from adrenalin of course - but, that bridge KILLED me. I got to where I could see the finish line and I was still a 1/4 mile away and knew my 2 hour goal would not be met. I crossed at 2:02:and something. UGH! Its weird, I'm not competitive with people running with me, I'm competitive with myself. My last 1/2 time was 2:07, so I kept telling myself it was an improvement. Scott made me feel better of course and I got over it....had my 3 chicken wings (which I am still regretting) and a beer! Next race: Disney Princess 1/2 marathon next weekend! Thank .God it's FLAT.

No comments: